- The Bishop, head of a Diocese, appoints a Shepherd and a Pastor to a Parish. His title is Parish Priest. In some cases, there are two Priests assigned in one parish.
In the Diocese of Armidale, the Bishop seat is currently vacant.
In Inverell: the Parish Priest is: Fr James Poovathinkal.
As Parish Priest, he has the primary duty and the mandate to pastorally serve the parishioners entrusted to him by the Bishop.
One of the most important responsibilities as Parish Priest of Inverell is to minister to his parishioners at a time like this: it is a time for him [or the Priest or Parish Personnel designated by him in his absence] to be present for them.
- After details are sorted out with the Office of Thorley and Sons: contact is made with the parish priest [or the Priest or Parish Personnel designated by him in his absence] to confirm date/time of the Funeral Celebration.
- A meeting is scheduled right away.
In this meeting: the Funeral Celebration is discussed in detail [the rituals; the eulogy; readings; songs; roles and tasks; etc.]. Concerns are clarified at this time and the details of the entire Funeral Celebration is sorted out.
- In case another priest [a friend or relative of the family] desired to be present at the funeral or for any other request other than the usual procedures, these matters will be discussed and arranged with and through the parish priest.
- Stole Fee for Funerals is: $ 250.00. The Stole Fee goes to the parish.
- The above applies even if Funeral Celebration is held at the Crematorium.